Wednesday, June 17, 2009

To Smell or Not to Smell...



If you don't know, I have anosmia. Which sounds a lot more scary than it is. Anosmia is defined as being unable to perceive smells. So technically I AM smelling, my brain just doesn't know it. Which is why, YES, I can taste.

According to the Anosmia Foundation (yup, there is a FOUNDATION - a REAL one) states that there between 2 and 5 million American adults suffering from this condition.

Guess what?

The ranks just grew - perhaps even exponentially!

That's right people - Zicam is being pulled off the shelves because it might cause people to lose their smell. In fact, the anosmia wikipedia page already updated their entry to include a section about how "the FDA cited complaints that the product[Zicam] caused Anosmia. The manufacturer strongly denies these allegations, but has recalled the product and has stopped selling it."

All I have to say is, Welcome to my (smell-less) world folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment