Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The L Word


Some people love using the word "love." I'm not one of them. I carefully weigh that word before it comes out of my mouth. Which is not to say I never use it. I say, "I LOVE" daily.

I love mint chocolate chip ice cream.

I love dancing when I drink.

I love my mom's dog, Reggie (in fact, I love all dogs)

I love my bed.

I could go on. But what I'm trying to point out is that, while I do love many things, it takes me a long time for me to get to that "love" point. I mean, it took me 8 months to utter the three words to my boyfriend. Some people are already living together by 6 months!

So when people ask me, "Do you love DC?" I always pause. And I know this makes them feel awkward. But I have to think about it. Do I love it?

Nope. Not yet.

But it took me 3 years to develop my love affair with New York City.

So, as the awkward silence ensues the next time you ask me that question, just know that saying "I love you, DC" is going to take awhile.

For now, I can honestly say, "I like you, DC, I'm just not in love with you quite yet."

No comments:

Post a Comment