Friday, June 26, 2009

Remembering When...


I was standing in my office with coworkers, about to head out to drinks, when the news of Michael Jackson's untimely death began trickling in. It's one of those moments that will stay ingrained in my memory, one of those, "I was doing this when I heard the news" moments. I believe I've gotten to a point in my life, to an age ,where people have started to say, where were you when X happened?

And the funny thing is that, while I can't remember what I did for my 26th birthday or my second Valentine's Day with my boyfriend, I can remember where I was when...
  1. OJ Simpson was acquitted of murder (hopping on the yellow bus after school; when I got home, I wrote about it in my journal)

  2. Princess Diana was killed in a car crash (IM'ing on my computer in my family room on Long Island, with the computer playing in the background; it was also my brother's birthday)

  3. The twin towers fell (in London, on a quiet street, with only the sound of a tinny radio playing the news)

So as all these remember when days flood my mind, I know that I've just added a new one. And I raise a glass to Michael Jackson and his music (which bubbles up a whole slew of other, less momentous remember when moments).

No comments:

Post a Comment