Wednesday, August 12, 2009

From the Trenches: Embrace Being 30

An interview with MFK - a former wild child turned domesticated 30-something.

Were you nervous about turning 30?
Actually, no. I was looking forward to it, to be honest. I felt that turning 30 meant people were now going to start taking me seriously in the work place. It just felt like a pretty cool right of passage. Turning 30 - it's huge!


But what about getting older? Were you scared about that?
What's an age? People tell me I look like I'm in my 20s all the time. I'm more afraid of 40, that's what scares me. But 30 is the new 20.


When you turned 30, did anything change?
I made it into a bigger deal than I needed it to be and spent my 30th in Miami. Until I hit 32 (wait, am I really 32?) it wasn't until then that I settled down a little bit.


What's better now that you're in your 30s?
I am wiser. I think I've had a lot of work experience, life experience. I've met all sorts of people. I'm definitely more settled and I"m more confident. I'm definitely in better shape at 30 then I was at 28. It's all mind over matter - it's all about how young you feel. My grandmother always told me, age does not matter; and that woman rocked it in her 70s... rocked it for a long while.

Is there anything you miss about being in your 20s?
I would say, to be brave, to take chances and risks because you are only going to be your 20something self for so long. I used to think I was too old to conquer something, but it's not true. You're never too old - and I'm sure I'll tell my 30something self the same thing when I'm 40something.


Any parting words for those of us turning 30?
Embrace it. You never know where you're going to be in a couple of years.

About MFK
Married: YES! (A newlywed of 2.5 months married to a hot 20something)
Music Lover: YES! (all-time fave band: The Beatles)
Sailor: YES! (just recently found her sea legs)
Home owner: ALMOST! (fingers crossed)

No comments:

Post a Comment